Exam applicants are required to apply using the new Online Bar Application. If you are applying by motion under Rules 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11 and started completing your application on paper (PDF) prior to June 3, 2022, please follow these steps. Your application must be submitted prior to October 1, 2022. Paper applications will not be accepted after October 1, 2022.
- Complete your application. It must be typed – handwritten applications are not accepted.
- Print the application.
- Complete Section 13.00 by providing a handwriting sample (regardless of whether you are sitting for the exam or applying by motion, all applicants must provide a handwriting sample).
- Complete, sign, and have notarized the following:
- Page 18 (Applicant’s Obligation)
- Page 19 (Authorization and Release of Information and Records)
- Put your printed registration page on top of your application (the registration page counts as Page 1).
- If you have not yet printed your registration page, please do the following:
- Fill out any required supplemental forms. Below you will find checklists of required documents for each application type and links to supplemental forms.
- Mail payment and all documents. Be sure to enclose the following:
- Mail to:
Minnesota State Board of Law Examiners
180 East 5th Street, Suite 950
St. Paul, Minnesota 55101
Applications submitted without the proper documents or fees may be returned to the sender.
Click on the Rule you are applying for admission under – each application type has different requirements.
Applicant Portal Communication:
Once you apply for admission to the bar, all correspondence from the Board office will occur through your Applicant Portal.
To ensure that you receive an email notification you should:
- Make sure the email address that you gave to the Board office with your application is current.
- Advise the Board of your new email address if your email changes.
- Add the following email address to your contact list or spam filter white list: Noreplyboardoflawexaminers@mbcle.state.mn.us
Check your Applicant Portal at least once per week. It is your responsibility to provide timely responses even if you do not receive an email notification.
Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.