General Questions

Click the topics below for more information.
Expand all

1. How can I get a replacement wall certificate?
Submit a written request and a check for $25 payable to the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners.  Mail the request to the Board office.  The certificate can only be printed in your legal name.  If you are requesting a new certificate due to a name change, please send a copy of your marriage certificate or court order with your request.  Please also submit a Name Change Request form to update your name with in the Minnesota Attorney Registration System (MARS).
2. Can I get a copy of my original application and the application attachments that I sent in?
Yes.  You may request a copy of your original application and its attachments if you applied within the last 10 years.  You must send a written request, along with a $30.00 check made payable to the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners or money order.  Your request must include your name as it appears on the application and the address where you would like for us to send the application (personal, business, or another jurisdiction).
3. How do I report an address or name change after I'm admitted?
Once admitted, lawyers submit name or address changes to the Lawyer Registration Office.
4. What is the Minnesota State Bar Association?
The Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) is a voluntary professional organization that gives lawyers valuable opportunities for continuing legal education, pro bono service, and professional development. All new lawyers get 1 free year of membership in the MSBA. After the first year lawyers must pay a fee to keep MSBA membership.
5. How do I request a Certificate of Good Standing?
Visit the Lawyer Registration Office website to request a Certificate of Good Standing. There is a $25 fee.
6. Can I find out if someone (other than myself) passed the bar exam?
All bar exam-related information is confidential. Once admitted, the names of Minnesota licensed lawyers are published on the Lawyer Registration website.
7. Once admitted to the Minnesota bar, what are the requirements to stay in good standing?
1. Pay an annual license fee to the Lawyer Registration Office
2. Comply with Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements.
3. Comply with the Rules of Professional Conduct
8. How do I get admitted in the Federal District Court of Minnesota?
Contact the Federal Clerk of Courts at (651) 848-1100.
9. How many lawyers are in Minnesota?
See the Lawyer Registration Office annual reports.
10. How can I find out information about a lawyer?
Search the Lawyer Registration Database Search or search for public discipline records on the Minnesota Lawyer Public Decision Search.
11. How do I file a complaint against a lawyer?
12. What MPRE score is required by Minnesota?
85 or higher. If you do not know what your score is, call our office to ask. We cannot tell you what your score is, but we will tell you if you qualify for Minnesota standards.
13. How do I transfer my MPRE score to Minnesota?
If you sat for the MPRE in 1999 or later, the National Conference of Bar Examiners can transfer your score to Minnesota. If you obtained your MPRE score before 1999, you must submit documentation of your MPRE score by either contacting a jurisdiction in which you were admitted and having that jurisdiction affirm that you achieved a score of 85 or higher.
14. If I was admitted in another jurisdiction without taking the MPRE, can I be admitted in Minnesota without taking the MPRE?
No. Everyone who applies for admission to the Minnesota Bar must take the MPRE and receive a scaled score of 85 or higher.
15. Does the MPRE expire?
No, your MPRE score remains a valid score and does not expire.
16. Who do I make my check out to?
Minnesota Board of Law Examiners.
17. I received a law degree from a foreign law school. Can I apply for admission to practice in Minnesota?
Effective May 1, 2021, foreign-educated lawyers may apply to sit for the bar examination if they have five of seven years of practice preceding application in a U.S. jurisdiction.  (See Rule 4A(3)(b)). A foreign-educated lawyers with 10 years of licensure in another U.S. jurisdiction may apply for any rule type.  (See Rule 4A(3)(c)).  Foreign-educated lawyers may be eligible to apply for a Foreign Legal Consultant license that permits the lawyer to practice the law of the country in which they are licensed.  See Rule 11 for more information.
18. I see that Rule 4A(3) references an LL.B. from an ABA-approved law school. I have an LL.B. from a foreign law school. Does that count?
No, only LL.B.’s from an ABA-approved law school qualify. See Question 17.
19. What if I have an LL.M. from a U.S. law school in addition to my foreign law degree?
An LL.M. is not sufficient to satisfy the requirements under Rule 4A(3).

Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.