Click on the questions below for more information.
- New registration form (this will require that you create a new username for the Applicant Portal)
- New application and required supplemental forms
- New photo ID card
- New certified driving record (original)
Affidavits of Good Character are valid for two years (four consecutive examinations). You only need to submit new affidavits if the ones previously submitted are older than two years.
The affidavits must be from someone who meets these requirements:
- Not related to you by blood or marriage, or living at the same residence
- Has known you at least 1 year
- Not a fellow law student during your enrollment (if you know a law student from another school, it is okay to use them)
- Not listed as one of your references (we may be contacting your references, so we want the name of another person who supports your admission)
The statement in the affidavit must meet these requirements:
- Describe how long and the circumstances under which the person signing the affidavit has known you
- Describe what the person signing the affidavit knows about your character and general reputation
- Provide any other information about your character and fitness to practice law
The affidavit must contain an original ink signature and must be notarized or include the following language immediately above the signature block: “I declare under penalty of perjury that everything I have stated in this document is true and correct.” See Rule 2A(1).
We are unable to process your application without the following and failure to include these items at the time of application may result in your application being returned to you:
- Registration Form
- Typed Application with all required Supplemental Forms
- Photo and signed photo ID card (Rule 6 applicants only)
If you are missing something or additional information is required, a request will be posted to your Applicant Portal. We are not able to begin the Character and Fitness investigation without a properly completed Authorization and Release (page 14 of the Application). Failure to provide this with your application will delay the processing of your application.
Ensure that you carefully read and make diligent efforts to comply with any records requests. For example, a request for court and police records will typically require contacting two separate offices, and a docket printout or register of actions will not satisfy a request for copies of filed documents such as complaints or orders. Obtain verifying documentation from the records holder if records are unavailable as this is requested by the Board office.
Contact your references and recent employers listed in your application and let them know that they may receive a character questionnaire from our office in the mail. Non-responsive references often delay the application process.
Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.