Competency Study – 2021 to 2023
On June 21, 2021, the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners (Board) published a Public Notice announcing plans to commence a comprehensive two-year study of the bar examination for the purposes of providing the Minnesota Supreme Court with a report and recommendation no later than June 1, 2023.
The public notice advised that the dates, times, and locations of public meetings will be posted to the Board’s website. The Committee held four public meetings in the fall of 2021. The agendas, minutes, and additional information related to those meetings can be found below. The Board intends for this to be a transparent process.
The Committee seeks to solicit broad stakeholder input on this important issue. The Committee has developed a Project Timeline that includes five months of Working Groups to bring together divergent viewpoints. The Committee has identified Stakeholder Groups and invited robust participation in the Board’s Working Group process. Three Working Groups have been formed to carefully consider this issue. Additional information on the Working Groups may be found below.
Additionally, the Board is in the process of scheduling listening sessions to solicit additional input. The dates and times of these listening sessions will be published below and the sessions will be recorded for the Working Group participants unable to attend the sessions.
Written comments on this issue are also encouraged. If you wish to provide comment, please send your comments to the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners at 180 E. 5th Street, Suite 950, MN 55101 or email@example.com. Written comments will be part of the public record on this issue.
The Working Group process began in January 2022 and will continue through May 2022. Additional information on the scope and membership of the Working Groups may be found here. If you are interested in additional information, please contact the Board office.
- Upcoming Working Group Meetings:
- Group 1: TBD
- Group 2: TBD
- Group 3: TBD
- Past Working Group Meetings:
- Group 1:
- March 3, 2022: 11 A.M. to 12: 00 P.M.
- March 29, 2022: 8:00 to 10: 00 A.M.
- April 21, 2022: 11:30 A.M. to 1: 30 P.M.
- Group 2:
- March 21, 2022: 11 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
- April 20, 2022: 2:00 to 4:00 P.M.
- April 25, 2022: 11 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
- March 8, 2022: 4:00 to 5:00 P.M.
- March 16, 2022: 9:00 to 10:00 A.M.
- March 22, 2022: 12:30 to 1:30 P.M.
- April 12, 2022: 3:00 to 4:00 P.M.
- April 26, 2022: 4:00 to 5:30 P.M.
- April 27, 2022: 9:00 to 10:00 A.M.
- May 4, 2022: 4:00 to 5:30 P.M.
- Group 1:
The dates and times of the listening sessions are still being finalized and additional information will be posted here soon.
Past Committee Meetings:
- September 21, 2021 – 2:30 to 4:00 P.M.
- October 6, 2021 – 2:30 to 4:00 P.M.
- November 8, 2021 – 1:30 to 3:00 P.M.
- December 8, 2021 – 2:30 to 4:00 P.M.