Temporary Legal Services License (Rule 8)
Under Rule 8 of the Rules for Admission to the Bar, a lawyer who has accepted employment in Minnesota for a legal services program may apply for a temporary legal services license.
You must meet the following minimum requirements to apply under Rule 8:
- Have a law license from another US state or jurisdiction
- Have a JD degree from an ABA-approved law school
- Provide an affidavit from your legal services employer attesting to the following:
- Your good character and fitness for admission to the bar
- Your acceptance of the legal services program employment
- That you will be supervised by a Minnesota-licensed lawyer
- Be in good standing in each jurisdiction where you are licensed to practice law
- Receive a good character and fitness recommendation from the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners
- Meet all other Rule 4 General Requirements for Admission
- Your license is valid for no more than 15 months (See Rule 8E)
- You are limited to representation of the legal services program’s clients
See Rule 8 for additional guidance.
Motion applicants who have already begun completing the paper version of the bar application prior to the Online Bar Application’s launch on June 3, 2022, will be permitted to submit a paper application until October 1, 2022. If you intend to submit your application after October 1, 2022, you must use the online application. No paper applications will be accepted after that date.
Click here to begin the application process.
Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.