Temporary Legal Services License (Rule 8)
Under Rule 8 of the Rules for Admission to the Bar, a lawyer who has accepted employment in Minnesota for a legal services program may apply for a temporary legal services license.
You must meet the following minimum requirements to apply under Rule 8:
- Have a law license from another US state or jurisdiction
- Have a JD degree from an ABA-approved law school
- Provide an affidavit from your legal services employer attesting to the following:
- Your good character and fitness for admission to the bar
- Your acceptance of the legal services program employment
- That you will be supervised by a Minnesota-licensed lawyer
- Be in good standing in each jurisdiction where you are licensed to practice law
- Receive a good character and fitness recommendation from the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners
- Meet all other Rule 4 General Requirements for Admission
- Your license is valid for no more than 15 months (See Rule 8E)
- You are limited to representation of the legal services program’s clients
See Rule 8 for additional guidance.
Click here to learn more about the online application process and start your application.
Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.