Temporary House Counsel License (Rule 9)

Under Rule 9 of the Rules for Admission to the Bar, a lawyer licensed in another jurisdiction and employed as house counsel in Minnesota may apply for a temporary house counsel license.


You must meet the following minimum requirements to apply under Rule 9:

  • Have a JD from ABA-approved law school
  • Have a law license from another state or jurisdiction
  • Be in good standing in each jurisdiction where licensed to practice law
  • Receive a good character and fitness recommendation from the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners
  • Provide evidence of having engaged, as principal occupation, in the practice of law as defined in Rule 7A for at least 36 of the 60 months immediately preceding the application
  • Meet all other Rule 4 General Requirements for Admission


  • Your license is valid for no more than 12 months
  • You are limited to practice solely for your designated employer (see Rule 9D for pro bono exception)
  • Your license expires upon your termination from employment with the designated employer

See Rule 9 for additional guidance.


Click here to learn more about the online application process and start your application.

Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.