Temporary House Counsel License (Rule 9)

Under Rule 9 of the Rules for Admission to the Bar, a lawyer licensed in another jurisdiction and employed as house counsel in Minnesota may apply for a temporary house counsel license.


You must meet the following minimum requirements to apply under Rule 9:

  • Have a JD from ABA-approved law school
  • Have a law license from another state or jurisdiction
  • Be in good standing in each jurisdiction where licensed to practice law
  • Receive a good character and fitness recommendation from the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners
  • Provide evidence of having engaged, as principal occupation, in the practice of law as defined in Rule 7A for at least 36 of the 60 months immediately preceding the application
  • Meet all other Rule 4 General Requirements for Admission


  • Your license is valid for no more than 12 months
  • You are limited to practice solely for your designated employer (see Rule 9D for pro bono exception)
  • Your license expires upon your termination from employment with the designated employer

See Rule 9 for additional guidance.


Motion applicants who have already begun completing the paper version of the bar application prior to the Online Bar Application’s launch on June 3, 2022, will be permitted to submit a paper application until October 1, 2022. If you intend to submit your application after October 1, 2022, you must use the online application. No paper applications will be accepted after that date.

Click here to begin the application process.

Some documents require a PDF reader to view properly.